Let’s be honest: Finding clothing that fits your particular identity isn’t easy. If you’re nonbinary, it can be even more difficult to find clothes that reflect who you are and what you like to wear. That’s because, historically, the way we think about gender and identity is largely focused on men and women.
This is especially seen when it comes to shopping online. While there are a lot of stores with plus-sized options for men and women, finding things that fit a nonbinary V-neck or a nonbinary A-line skirt is much more difficult. Thankfully, there are some great websites out there that stock a variety of different options for nonbinary individuals looking for quality clothing at an affordable price.
What Is Nonbinary Clothing?
Nonbinary clothing is clothing that doesn’t have a traditional “male” or “female” style. Instead, the focus is on finding pieces that fit your personal taste, regardless of your gender identity.
This can include things like v-necks, button-down shirts, button-up shirts, long-sleeved shirts, tunics, skirts, dresses, and anything else you can imagine. Nonbinary clothing isn’t just a term for people who don’t identify with any gender. Instead, when someone is nonbinary, they don’t identify with any gender at all. This can include people who identify as agender, genderfluid, or a number of other identities that don’t fit within the typical man/woman binary. Some people who are nonbinary will also wear clothing that’s traditionally for the opposite gender, but that isn’t always the case.
Why Are There So Few Stores With Nonbinary Clothing?
Good question! Clothing retailers aren’t purposely trying to make nonbinary people’s lives more difficult, but it’s helpful to understand the root of the problem if you want to find nonbinary clothing.
The Retail Landscape - Traditionally, the types of clothing stores that have dominated the landscape have been ones focused for women. However, it also means that retailers are often more focused on marketing and selling clothing to women, rather than designing and selling clothes that are nonbinary-friendly.
Gendered Marketing - Beyond just the types of clothing that retailers offer, many of them market their clothes as gendered. This means that most retailers selling t-shirts, for example, will mark them as either “men’s” or “women’s.” This makes it much more difficult for nonbinary individuals to find things that fit.
Deciding What Styles You Want To Buy
If you’ve spent any time trying to find nonbinary clothing online, you’ve probably already noticed that most of the options are geared toward men or women.
While this makes it easier for retailers to market their items, it also makes it difficult for nonbinary individuals to find something that fits. Instead of looking for “men’s” or “women’s” items, try instead to find items that are similar to what you want, whether they’re a different size or don’t have a specific gender attached to them. For example, you might look for a button-up shirt that has the same silhouette as the one you want, or a long-sleeved shirt that has the same style of sleeves.
Online Shops With Diverse Gender Options
As we mentioned earlier, very few of major online retailers offer items for nonbinary individuals. While there aren’t many retailers out there that focus solely on nonbinary clothing, a few brands do offer sizes designed for nonbinary individuals. Fortunately, there are a new, creative designers and brands online that sell nonbinary clothing, as well as offer nonbinary sizing, on RE.STATEMENT, the online marketplace of unique, upcycled clothing.
Shop for Nonbinary Basics
When it comes to shopping for basics, you’ll want to focus on things like button-up shirts, long-sleeved shirts, t-shirts, and sweaters. Keep in mind that you can combine these with nonbinary accessories such as hats, belts, and bags to create a look that’s all your own.
- Button-Up Shirts - Button-up shirts are pretty much a staple in every person’s wardrobe. They’re versatile, stylish, and can be worn for almost any occasion. These can either be short-sleeved or long-sleeved, depending on your personal preference.
- Long-Sleeve Shirts - Long-sleeved shirts are a great option for colder weather. You can choose between a variety of different materials and styles, such as sweaters, v-necks, and even button-up shirts.
- T-Shirts - T-shirts are great for summer, but they’re also a good option for layering during the colder months. You can choose between crew-neck, v-neck, or long-sleeved styles, all of which are available in a variety of different materials.
- Sweaters - Sweaters are a timeless piece of clothing, and they’re a great option for both fall and winter. Sweaters come in a variety of different materials, including wool, cotton, and cashmere, depending on the weather.
Shop for Nonbinary Accessories
When it comes to nonbinary accessories, you’ll want to focus on things like hats, bags, and belts. You can also mix and match these with nonbinary basics to create a look that’s all your own.
- Hats - Hats are a great option for any season. They’re a great way to add a little bit of style to an otherwise basic outfit. You can choose between a variety of different materials, including felt, cotton, and leather.
- Bags - Bags are a great way to add some functionality to your outfit. You can choose between a variety of different materials, including leather, canvas, and denim.
- Belts - Belts can be used to add a bit of style to an otherwise plain outfit, or they can be used to dress up a more formal look. They can also be used as a piece of clothing to hold up your pants.
Shop for Nonbinary Statement Pieces
When it comes to shopping for nonbinary statement pieces, you’ll want to focus on things like coats, long scarves, and winter accessories. You can also mix and match these with nonbinary basics to create a look that’s all your own.
- Coats - Coats are a great way to add a layer of warmth during the colder months. You can choose a variety of different styles, such as bomber, pea coat, and trenches.
- Jewelry - You can find subtle ways to express your best self with jewelry that can make your most basic outfits unique.
- Scarves - Scarves are a great way to add some style to an otherwise plain outfit, or they can be used to dress up a more formal look. You can choose between a variety of different styles, including infinity, long, and short-sleeved.
- Winter Accessories - Winter accessories are a great way to add some functionality