Depop and Poshmark are two of the most popular selling apps for those who like vintage clothing. Both apps have gained a lot of traction among users and resellers. However, there are some subtle differences between the two apps. Whether you’re an avid vintage lover or just someone who likes to have a different style from time to time, it is safe to say that both Depop and Poshmark can offer great benefits for you as a user.
There are many similarities between these two apps, but there are also some differences. Both these apps provide their users with a platform where they can sell and buy pre-owned clothes easily. And since the market for vintage clothing has expanded considerably in recent times, it is no wonder why more people are getting involved in this business either as sellers or buyers.
What is Depop?
Depop is a mobile app that is used for selling and buying pre-owned clothes. It was launched in 2014 and currently has around 150 million users worldwide. The app is available to download for free for both iOS and Android devices.
The primary focus of Depop is on vintage clothing although other types of clothing like designer items are also present. The vintage clothing offered on the app includes items like retro dresses, shirts, and shoes. If you want to sell items on Depop, you first need to create a seller profile and then upload photos of the items you want to sell. You can also add a description of each item to explain the condition of the item and the reason why you are selling it.
What is Poshmark?
Poshmark is an online app for buying and selling pre-owned clothing. It is a fashion app that lets you sell your items on an online marketplace. The app was launched in 2012 and currently has around 75 million users globally. The app is available for free download on iOS and Android devices. Users can sell their items on Poshmark by creating a seller profile, uploading a photo of the item they want to sell and then adding a brief description of the item.
Poshmark lets anyone create an account to buy or sell from their platform of used clothing. Their focus is on popular fashion brands, but there is nothing preventing users from selling other items as well. In fact, Poshmark is trending towards selling other home items and even used devices.
How are Depop and Poshmark different?
While both apps are very similar when it comes to functionality, there are some subtle differences between them.
These include the following:
- Price - The price of items on Depop is higher than on Poshmark. This is because the value of unique, vintage items is higher than typical well-known brands of clothing.
- Inventory - The average number of items for sale on Poshmark is higher than on Depop. This is because Poshmark has been around for longer, and more users are aware of it. Both marketplaces are fairly saturated, as there are always items sold on the site, but the average time to sell a first item if you’re starting out is 3 months or more.
- Reputation - The average reputation score on Poshmark is higher than on Depop. Poshmark has been around longer, and Depop has had common cases where people would thrift flip or pretend something that is fast fashion is vintage to upsell the buyer.
- Seller’s Fees - On Poshmark, for all sales under $15, they take a flat commission of $2.95 from sellers. For sales of $15 or more, Poshmark's commission is 20%. Meanwhile on Depop, charges a 10% selling fee for sales on the platform.
Overall, the main difference between the Depop and Poshmark brand or vibe is that Depop is more of a hipster, vintage feel where their items are rarely seen. Their sellers either find, buy, or upcycle unique, retro pieces and then sell it for a higher price.
Meanwhile, Poshmark is designed for anyone to buy and sell used clothes, regardless of style or brand. It’s less niche that Depop, and you can find a wider variety of clothing.
What to look out for when selling on Depop and Poshmark?
- Photos - The first thing that you should keep in mind when selling on Depop and Poshmark is to take good photos. You should take the photos in well-lit areas and try to avoid photos that are blurry.
- Description - Another thing that you should keep in mind is to write a good description of the item. This will help the buyer understand the condition of the item more clearly and will also allow them to know if the item is what they are looking for.
- Price - It is also important to set the right price for the item that you want to sell. You should check the average price of similar items and then set a price that is slightly lower than the average price.
- Shipping - Another thing to keep in mind when selling clothes on Depop and Poshmark is to find a suitable shipping method. There are many options such as USPS, DHL, and FedEx where you can choose the type of shipment that you want.
- Buyer Reviews - find a seller or buyer you can trust by seeing their sales history and transactions’ reviews.
What to look out for when buying on Depop and Poshmark?
- Price - The first thing that you should keep in mind when buying on Depop and Poshmark is to set a budget for yourself. You should avoid buying something that is overpriced as this can lead to problems in the future.
- Condition - Another thing that you should keep in mind is the condition of the item. If the item is pre-owned, you should expect it to have some wear and tear as this is normal. However, you should try to stay away from buying items that are in poor condition as they might not last very long.
- Seller Feedback - It is also important to check the feedback of the seller. This will let you know the reputation of the seller and will also let you know if the item was received as described.
Which is better - Depop vs. Poshmark? Try both!
This really depends on your needs as a buyer or seller. Both apps have their own advantages and disadvantages.
If you are a seller, Depop might be a better choice as it has a larger inventory of vintage items and lower costs compared to Poshmark.
If you are a buyer, Poshmark might be a better choice as it has a more strict policy compared to Depop. Depop is much more relaxed when it comes to what items are allowed on the app compared to Poshmark. This means that you will find more vintage items on Depop compared to Poshmark. However, with Poshmark, you can expect the items to be much more expensive since the average age of a Poshmark user is higher than on Depop.
Alternatives to Depop and Poshmark
There are many alternatives to Depop and Poshmark.
However, these apps also have their own unique features. If you are looking for an alternative to Depop or Poshmark, you can try one of these apps. They are sure to provide you with a great experience!
This article has discussed the similarities and differences between Depop and Poshmark. Both of these apps are popular among people who like vintage clothing. If you like vintage clothing, then you might want to sell or buy items on one of these apps. However, before you do so, it is important to understand the features and functionalities of these apps. This will help you know if these apps are suitable for you or not. If you want to sell or buy items on these apps, make sure to keep these tips in mind.